Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Concert: Junoon's First Concert 1992

Another concert story (not really a review but sweet story) .....

I'll start this of. It was early 1992 in Karachi and I was 14 years old. I had sent my mom to the ARTS COUNCIL to get me and my brother (who was 12) tickets to Vital Signs as their second album had just come out. My mother went there and Salman and Ali were there selling tickets to their show and trying to promote Junoon. They had hand painted their own signs and banners and were selling their tickets dirt cheap. My mother felt sorry for them and especially Salman as she knew he had recently left Vital Signs. Anyway me and my brother were so mad at her but she kept saying it would be a good show and even went with us to the show.

Let me tell you when Junoon hit the stage we went into what I would describe "JUNOONI STATE". Ali had short hair, Salman had long curly hair, Brian had long hair with a bright Bandana, Ashiq Ali Mir was there with all his hair and their drummer at the time was the MIGHTY MIGHTY FAWAD ABASSI with a 16 piece set! They started the show with Chori Chori Aja and did all their songs from their first record. Then, they started doing Elvis Presley Covers which were AWESOME! After that show, me and my brother vowed to only attend Junoon shows in Pakistan because we were through with losers like Ali Haider, Amir Saleem, Sajjad Ali etc. plus we had lost our voices and our heads were hurting like hell from the head banging. Since 1992, I have seen Junoon 58 times from Karachi, Lahore, Islamabad, Chicago, Los Angeles & Dallas.

In the end, I would like to thank my mother for taking us to our first Junoon show. MOTHERS DO KNOW BEST!!!

.... indeed

[courtesy: Junoon Forums]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home